Interview with Dr. Ryan McIlvain

 

 

     Dr. Ryan McIlvain at the head of the classroom.

This is an interview with Dr. Ryan McIlvain, professor in the English and Writing department at the University of Tampa.

Gregory Florczak: Where have you lived?

Ryan McIlvain: I was born in Salt Lake, into a sixth generation family and then a few weeks later we moved to Massachusetts. I had went to BYU for a semester when I was 19 and not longer after that I left school to Brazil as a missionary for 2 years.

GF: What made you want to start teaching?

RM: I loved being around people who loved the things I loved. Teaching is being interested in other people and when you meet students who you have that connection with it's like a compensation. I think I feed off my students energy and some students don't like that and don't turn up to my classes again. You need to take the drudgerous with the rapturous.  

GF: Do you think your travel experience effected that decision at all? 

RM: Travel provides a good relativism. It helps you observe the difference between America and the world, and Brazil radically changed my politics and the course I would take my life.

GF: Has your outlook on teaching changed? 

RM: The art of pedagogy is something I'm going to keep tweaking and working on. It's a lot like writing and reading which I've gotten better at but it's something your always mastering. 

GF: How did you get the teaching job here at Tampa?

RM: After I got out of Rutgers I applied to some doctoral programs for English and Creative Writing, it let you wear both hats. I had survived that endurance test and when I was writing my first novel Elders Mitt Romney was running for president. I think that helped to build interest in my novel, it was a moment in American history where Mormons were a novelty item. If that hadn't happened I'm not sure if I would've gotten my novel published and then might not have gotten the job here. 

GF: Have you enjoyed teaching so far?

RM: Yes, but you know there are some classes, some students that don't spark. Some classes you go to with a lighheart and an easy step, and others it's not quite the same. What makes my job enjoyable is there's always a section or two to counter the not so great ones. 

 

Interview has been edited for brevity, clarity and style 

Comments